2009-03-05

Entitled to being a jerk?

2009-03-05

The other day, while standing in the sandwich line at Roski, I witnessed the ugly side of the LMU student body (and no, I wasn’t looking at my reflection in the sandwich display). I was second in line, and the person in front of me was unhappy with the fact that he’d been waiting more than 30 seconds for a Sodexo employee to come and help him. To show that was upset, he pursed his lips, exhaled loudly and shook his head. (It’s hard for most people to express disapproval without coming off like an inconsiderate numbskull.) Then he turned to me and, because idiocy loves company, said, “Can you believe these people? Who do they think they are?”

I smiled halfheartedly in response, which I regret. What I should have said was, “They’re underpaid employees dealing with thousands of students like you who feel entitled, and therefore treat them like second-class citizens.” And yes, I can believe them.

The way that some LMU students treat the workers in our school’s eateries, quite frankly, disgusts me. During my freshman year alone, I lost count of how many times people chose not to say please or thank you. That’s hardly the worst of it – I’ve seen many people demand their order, instead of asking for it. I’ve witnessed students throw fits because they got rice on their burrito, or because their breakfast sandwich took five minutes instead of two.

This needs to stop now.

I understand that we’re paying for this food, and that Sodexo employees are getting paid to prepare it to us. They’re not getting paid, however, to put up with students with an inflated sense of entitlement; they’re not getting paid to listen to you strip them of their dignity by bossing them around and expecting them to attend to your every whim.

But, some might argue, why should we treat them this way when they appear to have bad attitudes themselves?

Well, why do you think some of them have a bad attitude?

I’d like to see how well the students in question deal with serving people like themselves all day long. I’m sure students’ rolling their eyes gets old for anyone after a while. I admit that I have somewhat of a double standard when it comes to Sodexo employees’ attitudes: I sympathize with those that seem like they’re miserable and treat customers with a sense of detachment, and I admire those who strive to enjoy their job and interactions with students. But after seeing so many students treat so many employees unjustifiably poorly, I think such a double standard is only fair.

This is not a blanket criticism of the LMU student body – I understand that many students treat the employees in our dining facilities with perfect respect, and even go out of the way to make conversation with them at times. I applaud these students. To the rest, who feel that because you’re paying a large sum of money, you can treat the employees however you want, I challenge you to remember that you’re representing a Jesuit institution, a tenet of which is social justice. To treat any fellow human being as less deserving of respect and dignity than you are is a huge violation of this justice, and is something that nothing, not even an exorbitant cost of attendance at LMU, can justify.

-Jose Martinez


Photo by Liz Brownback | Loyolan

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Martinez- I want you to know that I have enjoyed reading your articles and am impressed with your growth, as a writer, in such a short time. I only wish this would have been posted in Opinion and not the blog. Thank you for writing this. I accept your challenge. Does anyone else have the courage to do so?

Anonymous said...

There is an air on entitlement among the students at LMU, I have noted, when I am on campus. Having graduated a number of years ago and gone on to law school (a rude awakening in itself), I realized just what a special place LMU was, in my own social upbringing and in the world in general.
Some of the LMU students of today treat the place like a four year spa. The beauty of the campus and the loveliness of the surroundings do tend to engender that mood.
But treating people who are employed by the school as a second class citizen is a reflection on the individual student and the abscence of an appropriate upbringing. Believe me, no one is going to put up with eye-rolling, silly remarks and stomping feet in the real world. You will simply be seen and treated as the spoiled brat you are, and you will have no credibility among your peers, unless you are one of the cast members of the "O.C."
You have the benefit of four wonderful years at LMU, use those years to grow and be a better person, to educate yourself for the maelstrom that you will soon encounter in this world. Because your tenure as a Pinkberry afficionado, a picky sushinista or a frappucino freakazoid is coming to an end. And, man, will you be sorry. Don't think caramel macchiato. Think Karma.

Anonymous said...

FYI: Once, while speaking to one of the employees at the Lair, she was telling me of her joy in watching the kids grow up and graduate. The conversation went on along this route for a bit, and I asked about her own children.
Now, I must tell you that my conversation with this nice, decent and humble lady was carried on primarily in Spanish. She was so proud when she told me she had a daughter in college, too. I was floored when she told me her daughter had been accepted at and was attending U.C.L.A.
Consider this: How many of you "high maintenance" types got into U.C.L.A.?

Anonymous said...

I love that you said this and I completely agree. I too have witnessed the absence of "thank yous" and "pleases" that should echo across campus. I find it embarrassing that kids students our age still haven't learned basic manners and that being at a university is a privilege and not a right, and that having so many resources, such as food, at our finger tips is extremely fortunate. I have been waiting for others to mention the flaw and I was starting to believe that we lost touch with reality. Keep speaking up!

Anonymous said...

I totally and completely agree with this comment and wish it would have been printed on the opinion section. EVERY STUDENT FACULTY AND STAFF MEMBER ON CAMPUS SHOULD READ THIS!!!

Anonymous said...

not only is being a whiny child rude and inappropriate to our age, but it also just adds to our school's reputation of snobbery. if someone thinks it's acceptable to treat campus employees like a different species, they should refrain from acting on that impulse, at least for the selfish reason of establishing himself as a worthy individual in the context of the world.

Anonymous said...

thank you jose. while i no longer respect the loyolan, i still respect one of its writers

Anonymous said...

Isa G-money Gillette should be reading up on this story, Jose. She clearly does not get it.

Anonymous said...

the customer is NOT always right...sometimes they are STUPID, ignorant, and belligerent. I've worked in several places, and my parents own several restaurants. Never is it ok for the owner to sacrifice the integrity and respect of their loyal worker for a "sale"

Anonymous said...

Some employees are really rude but we should all learn to be the bigger person, yes?

Anonymous said...

USC WEST
University of Spoiled Children

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates