2009-03-30

A pleasurable experience

2009-03-30
So it’s sometime in the morning before you have class and you stop by the lair to grab some food. You’re in a rush. Problem: There is only one line to pay for your things and there are 25 people in front of you. Why? Because the esteemed Sodexo employee working the register is intent on taking the maximum amount of time to do the simple tasks of pushing buttons on a register and sliding a card.

Every morning I hope that maybe they will assign someone new to the register, but I’m not surprised to see that they have, yet again, chosen the most irritating person to run the register. Making my way to the front of the line, ten minutes later, I find my helpful cashier staring me down as if my intentions of buying food are somehow less than honorable.

Next she counts up the items I wish to purchase, not once, but twice. She finally deems it an appropriate time to push the buttons on the register. Now, I’ve been charged for either chow mein or a salad, when all I’ve tried to buy is my oatmeal. When the mistake is corrected she starts over. On the most special of occasions, I will be one of the lucky few who have made the cut of paying double for my cereal because I have committed the ultimate in Sodexo sins by overflowing my cereal bowl. Naturally this makes clear my true thieving nature, so she proceeds to glare at me as I hand over my one card.

Not to move too quickly, she asks if I would like to use Lion. She must imagine it’s a hobby of mine to change up my daily payment methods to confuse her – not the case by any means.

Finally, I’m in the home stretch and even though I tell her I don’t need a receipt, she guards my OneCard as collateral. She asks me if I’m sure, as if I will really have such a strong change of heart in five seconds. She hands me my OneCard as slowly as possible, as if to warn me that we will meet again. Now that I’m late for class, it really doesn’t matter. I just feel for all those poor kids behind me who will soon have the same pleasurable experience.
-Isa Gillette

For a completely different opinion on this matter, see Jose Martinez' post: "Entitled to being a jerk?"

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Here's an idea...wake up earlier and give yourself extra time to stand in the line that you know is gonna be there, every single day, before you get to class...how is it the cashiers fault that your in a rush?!

emily said...

Exactly! (to Anonymous)
You make out this probably bland and unanimated cashier to sound devilish, which if she truly was, your responsibility would be to contact management. It's very inappropriate to degrade the character of all Sodexo employees in a public forum such as this. This is exactly the needless sarcastic writing I hope to see only in raunchy publications unrelated to the Loyolan.

Anonymous said...

Blogging is one thing, but to totally attack an innocent individual, publicly, shows YOUR lack of class. Not cool.

Los Angeles Loyolan said...

Please refrain from using derogatory language, specifically swear words in comments. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Please have the loyolan refrain from publishing derogatory and discriminatory articles on its website. thanks

Anonymous said...

What I want to know is who is this ignorant writer that the Loyolan is allowing to associate with? Obviously, somebody who had their butt wiped their entire life...

At the moment, I'm sad Isa Gillette goes to the same school as I do. Isa never thought about the whole story of that worker's situation, circumstance or life story. I've got to twitter others on the extreme ignorance of Isa and the Loyolan, after reading this piece.

Anonymous said...

Isa does have a point. We are paying absorbent amounts for overhead costs associated with Sodexho.(40% mark-up over MSRP on bottled water ring a bell?) Sodexho maintains a monopoly over on-campus sales of food. The least that they could do would be to provide service equal to or greater than a free market would.

Anonymous said...

yeah but the 40% markup has NOTHING to do with the staff

Anonymous said...

I am very VERY disappointed with the content that the Loyolan puts out...on a consistent basis, not only with this blog but with the newspaper as well. Do any of the writers have ANY dignity?

Do all the students of LMU a favor and cover something that matters.

Andrew Erickson said...

Well in defense of the writer i have had bad experiences with the employees at the Lair. One time I bought a salad and the lady charged me 25.00 for it. I called her on her mistake and she gave me the dirtiest look you can imagine. "wake up and give yourself extra time" seriously the lair opens at 7:30 many people have 8:00am classes to get to and would rather not spend it waiting in line for a slow cashier. I believe The writers article was both humorous and truthful...oh and its called an opinion if you don't like it read something else! I guess its easy to post these things when your anonymous.

Anonymous said...

honestly people clearly this person was irritated but it was a joke... if you cant see that then you must live a seriously dull life entirely devoid of humor

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates